Martijn van Iterson is a great Dutch guitarist. His lines are hip, but firmly rooted in the tradition. He can bop like no other. His time is impeccable and his chops world class. Frankly, I don't think jazz guitar playing gets any better. I have seen him play live often and have recorded him on video several times. He has recorded two fantastic albums as a leader: The Whole Bunch and Street Wise. Both albums show he's a great composer as well. Martijn has recorded and toured as a sideman extensively too. He's a guitarists' guitarist. Essential listening for any guitarist.
● 1979 Started taking private guitar lessons
● 1982 Started playing Jazz
● 1988-1993 Studied at the Hilversum Conservatoire with Wim Overgaauw
● 1994- present Teaches jazzguitar at the “Amsterdam Conservatoire”
● 2004 Release of his album “The Whole Bunch” with the
Martijn van Iterson Quartet.
● 2004 Won the “Bird Award at the North Sea Jazz Festival
● 2005 His album “The Whole Bunch” was ranked 11th on the Jazzweek.com charts.
● 2006 Release of his album “Streetwise” with the Martijn van Iterson Quartet
● 2009-present Member of “ The Jazzorchestra Of The Concertgebouw”
● 2012 Won the “Laren Jazz Award”
Here you can see him play his Gibson ES 125 in the Peter Beets trio. The transcription of his solo you will find included here. It was done by Michael Aadal. Thanks Mike!